Tuesday, August 13, 2013

We're flippin' carseat crazy. Emphasis on 'crazy.'

A minivan officially sits in our driveway with my license plates on it. My truck ... well, I loved it and we had some good times, but in the end she just wasn't living up to my expectations.

We lost another binky. They are all missing. Charlie is borrowing one from her sister's godfather's son who likely never would have a clue it was missing if I weren't mentioning it now. Sorry 'bout your luck, Liam, it's got girl germs on it now.

After the recent nephew/niece trading, Boy went through our Netflix "recently watched" list ... interesting. Someone needs to clue that younger boy into how not appropriate it is to attempt to watch anime on my TV. Or any TV. Especially mine and particularly when I assume my children were in the room. In fact, I think he and I and his mother may have to chat. At first, I thought it was hilarious that it was listed in the watched list, until my husband said, "I think it's time someone gets the talk."

Then I was pissed because I realized it wasn't my husband who had clicked on it, thereby adding it to recently watched. Now, I just want him (my nephew) to understand that perhaps we need to discuss shows and give approval if it doesn't have less than a PG-13 rating. I never thought I would have to think about this, not even when I walked in on Josie intently watching an episode of "Archer." Priorities ... I don't know where mine are most days. Probably acting like a drunken whore at the county fair.
In other news, tortilla chips make for an awesome snack when a late lunch kills your dinner appetite. Who cares that I didn't make dinner, though? The man-child ate peanut butter and jelly with a smile on his face and the kids snacked on tomatoes and popcorn.

Fact: My kids love tomatoes. Here's some evidence:

I caught the Goober stealing them off the table the other night. Can someone please hand me my Awesome Mom award now? My kids love fruit and vegetables. I think that goes in the win column.

On a more serious note, I broke down and flipped Beanie's carseat. She's now a forward-facing rider. It wasn't because her legs were cramped — she never once complained about having to sit cross-legged — and it wasn't because the new ride has a DVD player and I want to spoil her rotten with movies every time we go somewhere ... because that shit won't be happening. The little monster actually outgrew the rear facing limits for her seat. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that would happen, nor had I paid much attention.

But there it is. After all my fretting and worrying that she might get ripped on in kindergarten for being a rear-facing five-point-harness-wearing kid, she was actually two inches taller than the height requirements to flip her around.

How do I feel about this, you ask? You did ask that, didn't you? I thought so.

I'm ... nervous. Anxious. Scared to death the new car and new seat position is enough change on top of everything else to make me want to hide in the closet with a large vat of wine. I mean, I'll be fine, because that's usually how I feel by Thursday anyway, and since tomorrow is only Wednesday I'm merely warming up for it.

There's always great debate about carseat safety, when to turn your kid, what the state laws are versus the American Association of Pediatrics recommendations ... I made a decision when I was pregnant with Josephine that she would be rearfaced until she hit the limits. And now we've gotten to that first one.

I don't have to think about the next step with her for another 35 or so pounds when she can be boostered without the harness ... and thank the sweet baby Jesus in the manger that won't be happening until at least fifth grade or mama might have a coronary.

No comments:

Post a Comment